Oklahoma football: What about Dominique Whaley?
NORMAN — Last week, coach Bob Stoops told reporters that if starting running back Damien Williams couldn't play on his injured ankle, senior Dominique Whaley would start against Iowa State.
Videoview all videos
Nov 5The Sooners senior quarterback steos up to the podium to...
Nov 5OU's head coach learns of Brennan Clay's alter ego, Toby,...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Whaley, a former walk-on, suffered a season-ending ankle injury midway through last season after earning the starting job. He resumed starting duties at the beginning of this season, but Williams' emergence led to his elevation on the depth chart.
Whaley, though, has barely seen the field at all since the Oct. 13 Texas game. In home contests against Kansas and Notre Dame, Whaley didn't play at all.
Then Saturday, with Williams suited up but clearly hobbled, junior Brennan Clay started in the backfield instead of Whaley, who carried the ball just one time in Ames.
“Coach (Cale) Gundy just felt Brennan was more ready,” Stoops said Monday.
Stoops said Monday that Whaley is “back and doing the best he can. ... He's doing great.”
Senior tackle Lane Johnson, who hurt his ankle against Notre Dame, only played on special teams Saturday. Junior guard Bronson Irwin also has dealt with some ankle issues; he was helped off the field at one point Saturday, but returned and finished the game.
“(Ankle injuries are) hard,” Stoops said. “The ankles, with all the pieces and when they break. They are tough to overcome.
“Probably fair to say they're even more serious than knee injuries, just because I think they're harder to repair with all the small pieces and ligaments in there.”
TRUTH IS KEY TO RECRUITING, ACCORDING TO KENNY STILLS
Kenny Stills came to Oklahoma to play for those who came before him.
Like Ryan Broyles. Mainly, Ryan Broyles.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21533Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17671Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12448Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9610Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9529Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9416Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8233Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense