Oklahoma football: What happened to Bob Stoops' no-excuses approach?
Bob Stoops came to Norman 14 years ago preaching a no-excuses approach to OU football. Since the Notre Dame game, it seems he's forgotten that sermon.
Videoview all videos
Nov 1Jalen Saunders' father, Walter Saunders, has been...
Nov 1Depending on how the rest of the regular season goes, the...
Nov 1Where is the Sooner's motivation now that the team is out...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Can't blame him for that. I'm not into sky-is-falling mode, either. The Sooner program is in good shape.
The Sooners need to get better to challenge for a national championship, no doubt. OU could use some linebacking help, and the lines could use some reinforcing.
But the idea that Stoops has gone soft, that he's lost his edge and his innovation and the program is sliding, I don't buy. He seems mostly the same old Stoops to me.
Except on this excuse thing. The old Stoops wouldn't have trotted out “judgment calls” as a key to the game, especially unprovoked. Stoops volunteered the theory in his opening soliloquy Monday.
“We were just on the wrong side of some judgment calls, a tight football game, they're part of the game,” Stoops said.
He was referring to the holding call on Bronson Irwin and the lack of an interference penalty against Notre Dame's Dan Fox on the pass in which Te'o intercepted.
Those weren't blatant missed calls. Looked like holding to me. The Fox hit on Jalen Saunders was bang-bang, and the fewer bang-bang interference penalties in football, the better. Te'o's interception looked good, too. Close, but good.
Judgment calls did not determine the OU-Notre Dame outcome. And there was a time when Stoops wouldn't have said anything even if they had.
Berry Tramel: Berry can be reached at (405) 760-8080 or at email@example.com. He can be heard Monday through Friday from 4:40-5:20 p.m. on The Sports Animal radio network, including FM-98.1. You can also view his personality page at newsok.com/berrytramel.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister