Oklahoma governor-elect chooses education secretary
Phyllis Hudecki will serve as Oklahoma's secretary of education after Mary Fallin is sworn in as governor Jan. 10.
The executive director of the Oklahoma Business and Education Coalition has been selected by Gov.-elect Mary Fallin to serve as her education secretary.
Phyllis Hudecki will serve on Fallin's Cabinet after Fallin is sworn into office Jan. 10, it was announced Tuesday at a news conference.
Fallin said Hudecki â€œhas been one of our leading education policy minds in the state of Oklahoma.â€
Hudecki will be working with Republican state schools Superintendent-elect Janet Barresi â€œto deliver strong, effective educational institutions here in Oklahoma,â€ Fallin said.
One of Fallin's campaign promises was to improve the state's public schools, colleges and universities and CareerTechs to provide a quality, educated work force.
â€œQuality jobs require a quality, highly educated work force,â€ Fallin said. â€œWe can't attract business and opportunities to the state of Oklahoma when our high school students are unprepared for either entering into higher education ... or unprepared to enter into the work force.â€
Fallin didn't offer specifics Tuesday. She said she will be forming an education task force that will be looking at ways to reduce bureaucratic costs and administrative overhead in the state's education system.
â€œWe have to have it as a goal to get more money into the classroom directly to the students where it can have the most effect,â€ Fallin said.
Education expenses make up 52 percent of this fiscal year's $6.7 billion budget. About $2.4 billion is earmarked for public schools, higher education gets about $1 billion and CareerTech gets $142
Hudecki said improving the education of children in the state is an economic imperative.
â€œWe must get to that immediately,â€ she said. â€œAttracting jobs and business to this state means cultivating a highly skilled, highly educated work force. And that will require reform in all parts of our system.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11190Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11015Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9873Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8372Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4481Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4243Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4027OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M