Oklahoma governor's office under fire for open records policy
FOI Oklahoma Inc the latest to accuse Gov. Fallin and her advisers of redefining state's Open Records Act. Fallin spokesman said the office is working to respond to unprecedented records requests.
“This is a time-consuming, labor-intensive process, and right now we're processing the request and we haven't denied any documents,” Weintz said.
He estimated it will take 100-plus man-hours and as long as two months to make the documents available.
In the same meeting, Secretary of State Glenn Coffee said that records requests filed with then-Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's office in 2009 crippled that state's government and ultimately led to her early resignation.
At the time of her resignation, Palin cited ethics probes and the needs of her family as reasons for stepping down.
Hutson and other open records advocates said the exemptions Mullins cited do not exist in the state's Open Records Act and that Fallin's office is trying to redefine state law to limit access.
He included in the letter a copy of a 2010 pledge by Fallin to comply with the letter and spirit of the act.
“These are decisions that are going to have a significant social and economic impact for many Oklahomans, so under those circumstances why can't we be upfront and say how these decisions are made,” Hutson said. “What's there that she doesn't want us to know about?”
Mullins cited similar privileges after receiving records request from The Tulsa World and The Associated Press earlier this year.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12798Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12779Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12087OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10010Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8450Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6619Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 6098Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated