Oklahoma Health Care Authority approves funds for recovery audit contractor
The Oklahoma Health Care Authority will hire a recovery audit contractor through competitive bidding. The contractor will audit claims and look for overpayments and underpayments.
On Thursday, Oklahoma Health Care Authority board voted to approve spending money to hire a recovery audit contractor.
This contractor, which will be hired through competitive bidding, will audit Medicaid claims and look for overpayments and underpayments. The contractor will also try to recoup this money when possible.
The Oklahoma Health Care Authority is in charge of Oklahoma's Medicaid program known as SoonerCare. The authority has a program integrity unit that already audits the money that medical professionals receive for the services they provide Medicaid patients.
However, federal regulation requires the authority to hire a recovery audit contractor.
Mike Fogarty, the health care authority CEO, said he thought the board should approve the action, even though he thought it was a waste of federal money for a recovery audit contractor to provide this service in Oklahoma.
“When you take a state like Oklahoma that has an error rate of under 2 percent, (the federal government) probably could better spend their resources somewhere that's closer to the average Medicaid error rate of 8 percent or 9 percent, and not paint all states with this broad brush,” Fogarty said.
Fogarty said he was concerned that Medicaid providers in Oklahoma will have mostly negative experiences with the recovery audit contractor.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10625Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9988Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9782Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6778Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4215Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4087Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates