A new House of Representatives committee will explore Oklahoma's sovereign rights, and a lawmaker booted as chairman by the previous speaker is back in charge of the energy panel, according to committee assignments announced Thursday.
House Speaker-elect T.W. Shannon kept many of the standing committees, and created two more, including the States' Rights Committee. The House now has 19 committees.
Shannon, R-Lawton, named Rep. John Trebilcock, R-Broken Arrow, chairman of the House Energy and Aerospace Committee.
Former House Speaker Kris Steele removed Trebilcock in November 2011 as chairman of the previously named House Energy and Utility Regulation Committee. Trebilcock claimed the move was in retaliation for his voting for Shannon to be the next speaker instead of Steele's choice. Steele denied it.
Shannon also splintered the education budget subcommittee into three separate panels — one each for higher education, common education and CareerTech.
Shannon named only Republicans, who outnumber Democrats 72-29, as committee chairmen. He named three Democrats to be committee vice chairmen.
AT A GLANCE
House committee leaders
The House committee chairmen and vice chairmen for the upcoming session:
• Agriculture and Wildlife Committee: Rep. Dale DeWitt, R-
• Appropriations and Budget Committee: Rep. Scott Martin, R-
• Common Education Committee: Rep. Ann Coody, R-
• Economic Development and Financial Services Committee: Rep. Randy McDaniel, R-
• Energy and Aerospace Committee: Rep. John Trebilcock, R-
• General Government Committee: Rep. Paul Wesselhoft, R-
• Government Modernization Committee: Rep. Jason Murphey, R-
• Higher Education and CareerTech Committee: Rep. Harold Wright, R-
• Human Services Committee: Rep. Pat Ownbey, R-
• Insurance Committee: Rep. Dan Kirby, R-
• Judiciary Committee: Rep. Leslie Osborn, R-
• Long-term Care and Senior Services Committee: Rep. David Dank, R-
• Public Health Committee: Rep. David Derby, R-
• Public Safety Committee: Rep. Steve Martin, R-
• Rules Committee: Rep. Todd Russ, R-
• States' Rights Committee: Rep. Lewis Moore, R-
• Tourism and International Relations Committee: Rep. Charles Ortega, R-
• Transportation Committee: Rep. Charlie Joyner, R-
• Utility and Environmental Regulation Committee: Rep. Colby Schwartz, R-
• Veterans and Military Affairs Committee: Rep. Gary Banz, R-