Oklahoma hunting: Record number of Oklahomans take hunter education in 2012 because of new online course
Since debuting in late September, the online class has been completed by almost 7,500.
A record number of Oklahomans became hunter education certified in 2012 as more than 19,000 people completed the course.
The record number is primarily the result of the hunter education course now being offered online by the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, said Lance Meek, hunter education coordinator for the Wildlife Department.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Since the online class debuted in late September, almost 7,500 Oklahomans have completed it, Meek said.
“We still offered just as many conventional classes as we had last year and still tons of kids decided to take hunter education online,” Meek said. “They can take it at their own pace that way and they don't have to interrupt mom and dad's schedule.”
In Oklahoma, anyone age 30 or younger must receive hunter education to legally hunt alone, Meek said.
An apprentice hunting license is available to Oklahoma hunters who are not hunter education certified, which allows them to hunt with someone who has received hunter education training.
Oklahoma is the second state in the nation to offer hunter education online and the first to offer its own curriculum.
Indiana provides a hunter education course online but uses a private company that charges a fee for the service. Hunter education classes in Oklahoma are free, whether in a classroom or online.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 38644Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15211Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9740Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9154Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8873Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7777Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7381Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister