Oklahoma Inc.: Manufacturers post wide swings on this year's chart
Since recession lows, the Oklahoma manufacturing sector is rebounding strongly statewide, observers say.
Manufacturing is an industry that is a significant driver in our jobs recovery.”
Employment in the sector hasn't returned to the highs of the early '90s, but it's back to pre-recession levels, said Chuck Prucha, president of the Oklahoma Manufacturing Alliance.
State manufacturers, Prucha said, have learned to work leaner and smarter, using robotics, numeric-controlled equipment and other technologies. Moreover, many manufacturers, who may have moved production to China and elsewhere overseas, have brought back production because, among other things, a significant difference in product quality and the high cost of fuel.
“Just the costs of transportation to and from can add more costs than expected,” said Prucha, who for 25 years owned an Oklahoma machinery manufacturing company that moved production to Mexico and back.
As of August, the manufacturing sector accounted for 8.6 percent of the state's employment, with about 137,400 employees, said Lynn Gray, an economist with the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission.
“Manufacturing is an industry that is a significant driver in our jobs recovery,” Gray said. Since the recession low in January 2010, the sector has added 20.4 percent of the new jobs, or 16,300 of 79,900.
During the past 12 months alone, Oklahoma's manufacturing industry has gained 7,700 jobs or 5.9 percent, compared with a 2.9 percent jobs gain for the state as a whole, Gray said.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims