Oklahoma Inc.: Unit Corp. relies on all segments of business
It took a team effort to propel Tulsa's Unit Corp. into the top tier of Oklahoma companies this year.
“We had a lot of acreage that had liquids potential,” he said.
Unit produced nearly 11,000 barrels of oil equivalent between July 2010 and June 2011, with liquids accounting for 40 percent of that figure.
Pinkston said Unit's production is up about 15 percent, but he expects that figure to go higher over the next 12 months.
The performance of Unit's midstream business, its third segment, tends to follow the health of the oil and gas industry as a whole, he said. The majority of its operations involve third-party operators.
Pinkston said Unit is building gas processing plants at unprecedented rates, mostly to serve producers in the growing Mississippian play in northern Oklahoma and southern Kansas.
“We're seeing opportunities right in our back door that we've never seen before,” he said.
Pinkston said he looks forward to increased domestic oil and gas production as the United States tries to become less dependent on foreign oil. He doesn't expect natural gas prices to rebound soon, but eventually prices will rise enough to spur additional drilling for the commodity he views as the best available alternative to oil.
“The country will wake up to it sooner or later,” Pinkston said.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister