Oklahoma Legislature needs to finally ban texting while driving
Will this be the year that Oklahoma finally joins the many other states that have outlawed text-messaging while driving? State Rep. Curtis McDaniel hopes so. We do as well.
NewsOK Related Articles
McDaniel, D-Smithville, is taking up where fellow Democrat Danny Morgan left off. Morgan spent 10 years in the Legislature before stepping aside last year. He spent many of those years trying to outlaw texting behind the wheel.
Morgan had only limited success. Lawmakers eventually agreed to make it illegal for new teen drivers to text and drive, arguing that the least experienced were most at risk. But that proscription expires for most of those new drivers after about six months. So many youngsters are still able to drive and text to their heart's content. And so are all adults, even though texting at the wheel is every bit as dangerous for them — and other motorists — as it is for teens.
Some opponents of outlawing texting and driving note that motorists can already be ticketed for distracted driving, and so it's unnecessary to create a separate statute. Others see this effort as an infringement on personal rights. But it's first and foremost a safety issue: Drivers who text are a danger to themselves and others. The U.S. Department of Transportation says drivers who text are 23 times more likely to be involved in an accident than those who aren't texting. No wonder 39 other states have outlawed the practice.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed