Oklahoma man's quest to return from Middle East gets online petition support
An online petition has been launched to help gain public support for a Muslim man and Oklahoma native who has been prevented from returning to the United States.
“Thanksgiving is not about what religion you are or the color of your skin,” she said. “It's about spending time with your family, and we want Saddiq home with us next week. My mother's failing heart makes this an even more urgent request, that our family be allowed to spend time together as soon as possible.”
Long first tried to board a flight bound for the U.S. in April but was turned away by airport officials who told him he needed to get in touch with the U.S. Embassy.
Long said embassy officials told him to contact the Transportation Security Administration to find out why he is being prevented from flying back to America.
He said his attempts to get information from the TSA were unsuccessful.
With CAIR Oklahoma's support, Long attempted to board a plane bound for the U.S. on Wednesday, but his efforts were again unsuccessful.
Soltani said CAIR will stand by Long.
“We're hopeful that he'll make it home for Thanksgiving,” Soltani said. “Nevertheless, if he doesn't get back home, CAIR will continue to stand by him and maybe we can get him home for Christmas.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister