Oklahoma men's basketball: Newcomer Buddy Hield hoping to live up to nickname
His teammates dubbed him “The Microwave” in the preseason for heating things up off the bench. But as Romero Osby reminded him, Buddy Hield's got to keep earning that nickname.
Videoview all videos
Oct 30Berry Tramel and Stephanie Kuzydym preview what should be...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Freshman Je'lon Hornbeak tried to convince his cohorts that the freshmen are like a one-stop appliance shop. Hield's the microwave, Hornbeak's the stove and Isaiah Cousins is the oven.
They're ready to heat it up and dish it out.
“We the buffet and we deliver,” Hornbeak said. “We're hungry and we're just going to eat.”
During Oklahoma's first two exhibition games, the three freshmen produced, and newcomer Amath M'Baye combined to shoot .591 from beyond the arc (13-for-22) and .517 from the field. Hornbeak averaged 10.5 points per exhibition, while Cousins averaged 7.5.
All three freshmen said they're excited to continue “cooking” in the regular season.
“It's what we live for,” Hornbeak said. “We used to be on the video game playing but now it's not a video game, we actually get to play.”
Still, senior Romero Osby is holding OU's freshman trio accountable. Exhibition production was great, but he emphasized that they can keep the nicknames if they produce.
“Hold on. Hold on. Hold on,” Osby said when he overheard the Microwave nickname for Hield. He wrapped his arm around Hield's shoulder and put his face within inches of the freshman's.
“That's Vinnie Johnson's nickname. To earn that nickname you have to come in, in the NCAA Tournament, knock down shots, in the clutch.”
All the laughter subsided for a second, and Hield looked Osby in the eyes as he said, “Yes, sir.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister