Oklahoma men's basketball: Starting rosters spots are not guaranteed
Sooners coach Lon Kruger decides starting lineups based on effort in practices and not on seniority.
NORMAN — Sam Grooms', Andrew Fitzgerald's and Cam Clark's names weren't cast in bronze on the starting roster.
Five starting spots are determined every day in practice by Oklahoma men's basketball coach Lon Kruger. So far, he's seen that freshmen Isaiah Cousins and Je'lon Hornbeak work best starting alongside seniors Romero Osby and Steven Pledger and junior Amath M'Baye.
In a day of social media that is all about “my thoughts,” “my friends” and “my videos,” there is little use of the word “my” by the Sooners. “My spot” doesn't exist. What exists is a lineup that is seen by former starters and current starters as a lineup that is best for the team.
“Whatever coach needs me to do,” Clark said. “Just come in, play defense, rebound, gets stops.”
Oklahoma will carry that philosophy into Saturday's game against Texas A&M in the All-College Classic. Tip inside Chesapeake Energy Arena is 1:05 p.m.
In two previous seasons, Clark started a combined 60 games in 63 possible starts. This season, Clark does not have a single start to his name. Same for senior Grooms. He started all 31 games last season as a point guard. This year, he's cheered from the bench during the opening tip and watched his minutes go from an average of 31.5 per game to 17.1.
“Last year, I was wore down,” Grooms said from playing so many minutes. “Now it's better.”
So far this season, the wealth of minutes has been spread around, with Pledger averaging the most at 25.3 minutes per game.
“Things could change day by day, but we've just got to be happy with winning,” Grooms said. “I just have to do it, no questions asked and I'll be comfortable with that until coach says, ‘Sam go out there and lead the team.'”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad