Oklahoma men's basketball: Win over Baylor proves Sooners are making progress
Buddy Hield's late-game shots, Steven Pledger's 3-pointers, Amath M'Baye's 20 points — everyone is contributing to the Sooners' success.
NORMAN — Buddy Hield is fearless.
“I'm not scared of anything,” Oklahoma's freshman guard said the day after he and the Sooners held off Baylor and senior Pierre Jackson, the Big 12's leading scorer.
That fearlessness showed Wednesday night, when the Sooners won their fifth conference game, beating Baylor on the Bears' home court, 74-71. Hield's highlight play of the game came while he was being defended by Jackson. Hield cut across the left side of the court, did a spin move and put a shot off the glass to build OU's lead back to three points with 1:06 left.
Television broadcasters said Hield made it seem like the spin move is one he does every day.
“Just very creative and has good imagination and good vision on the floor,” OU coach Lon Kruger said about his energetic freshman guard. “He's just a really good, all-around basketball player.
“Made a couple big shots last night. One with a few minutes to go to put us up eight and one late there after they cut it to one. Actually a tough little runner there off the baseline ...”
It was just one in a list of big plays made by the Sooners, including multiple 3-pointers by Steven Pledger and a contribution from beyond the arc by junior forward Amath M'Baye. He started the game by scoring OU's first seven points. He finished with a season-high 20 points. M'Baye included a two-handed shot block the analysts deemed the “Not in your house” block.
“Really?” M'Baye said. “Two hands is better because you can keep it. Then it's almost like a steal.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister