Oklahoma moves up to No. 8 in BCS standings
After routing Kansas, Sooners move up one spot, while this week's opponent Notre Dame stays at No. 5.
NORMAN — Oklahoma and Notre Dame each handled their weekend home opponents to retain high BCS rankings and set up Saturday's top-10 showdown.
Videoview all videos
Oct 21It was a big-play kind of day, as Oklahoma used five...
Oct 21Jason Kersey and Jenni Carlson examine the Sooners' easy...
Photoview all 90 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The unbeaten Fighting Irish stood pat at No. 5 in the latest BCS standings, which were released Sunday evening, and Oklahoma moved up one spot to No. 8.
Notre Dame and Oklahoma will face off Saturday at 7 p.m. on Owen Field before a national television audience on ABC.
The Sooners (5-1, 3-1 in Big 12 Conference play) breezed past Kansas 52-7 on Saturday. Notre Dame (7-0), meanwhile, got all it wanted from BYU at home in South Bend, Ind.; the Irish needed a fourth-quarter rally to put the Cougars away 17-14.
As expected, defending national champion Alabama held onto its No. 1 ranking, and fellow Southeastern Conference squad Florida remained at No. 2. The Gators beat South Carolina on Saturday, handing the Gamecocks their second loss and dropping them from the top 10.
The only movement inside the top five came from Kansas State and Oregon swapping spots; the Wildcats (7-0) were elevated to No. 3 following their impressive 55-14 rout at West Virginia, and Oregon (7-0) moved down to No. 4 despite its 43-21 win at Arizona State.
Kansas State handed Oklahoma its lone 2012 loss on Sept. 22, in a 24-19 decision.
Texas Tech (6-1) moved up to No. 14 this week in the BCS following its thrilling win at TCU. The Red Raiders' only 2012 defeat came on Oct. 13 at home, 41-20 to Oklahoma.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 27859Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15705Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9908Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9405Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8491Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8399Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena