Oklahoma National Guard soldiers to deploy as Afghanistan fighting winds down
U.S. troops are set to withdraw from Afghanistan by the end of 2014. Several hundred Oklahoma National Guard soldiers are scheduled for deployments to the country before then.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Sgt. Chadwick Chudoba, 24, of Del City, is one of the soldiers from the 1245th leaving Monday.
“I'm not trying to have any assumptions about the deployment,” Chudoba said. “I'm just going to take it as it comes. We've been spending about every minute of every day conducting some really excellent training, and I don't think we've wasted any time whatsoever.”
Many Guardsmen have deployed multiple times to Iraq and Afghanistan. Deering said seeing the job done is a high priority for those who have put in time and seen their friends give their lives in Afghanistan.
“I think certainly you get the feeling that we are making progress,” he said. “How you measure that is more of an art than it is a science. The future is what it is. We don't pull back. We continue to train. It doesn't lessen the responsibility of leaders in letting their soldiers know to always be ready.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 99664Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16608OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13275Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8705Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8419Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8235How to help tornado victims
- 7896Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort