Oklahoma soldiers are under investigation after news that a National Guard recruiting program lost up to $100 million to fraud, Oklahoma National Guard officials announced Tuesday.
Col. Max Moss, a spokesman for the Oklahoma National Guard, said the National Guard Bureau contacted Oklahoma National Guard leadership about the investigations.
The Recruiting Assistance Program, or RAP, made bonus payments ranging from $2,000 to $7,500 to National Guard members, retirees and civilians who persuaded others to join the Guard.
During a U.S. Senate hearing Monday, Army officials said the program likely lost as much as $100 million to fraud.
The National Guard launched the program in 2005, at the height of the Iraq War. The program was quickly expanded to the Army Reserve and the active Army. The program was ended after six years, after the Army Audit Agency found bonuses had been paid to people who hadn't earned them.
Guard officials wouldn't release information about individual cases, saying only that an unknown number of Oklahoma National Guard members may have taken bonus payments.
“We are cooperating fully with military and civil authorities as they work to determine what wrongdoings may have occurred,” Moss said in a statement. “As with all alleged criminal acts, we take this issue very seriously.”