Oklahoma Natural Gas to reduce rebates for CNG vehicles
ONG launched the rebate program to help pay for compressed natural gas vehicles last summer. Strong demand has led the company to cut the amounts of the rebates for CNG vehicles, conversions and home-fueling stations.
Oklahoma Natural Gas has slashed the amount of rebates toward compressed natural gas vehicles and conversions after seeing stronger-than-expected demand for the incentives.
The company announced a waiting list for the program in October, just a few months after it went into effect in July.
ONG said Monday it will reduce the rebate for a dedicated natural gas vehicle to $1,000, down from $2,500 in the original program. The rebate for a bi-fueled natural gas vehicle will fall to $500, compared to $1,500. Residential CNG fueling systems will have a $1,000 rebate, down from $2,500.
The reduced rebates take effect Nov. 26.
Money for the rebates comes from a 25-cent per gasoline gallon equivalent surcharge on compressed natural gas bought from ONG's public fueling stations. The Corporation Commission approved the surcharge in June.
“While we would like to continue rebates at the current levels, our funding source — a 25-cent surcharge based on the amount of CNG sold to the public at company facilities — simply can't support the rebates at those levels,” said Greg Phillips, president of ONG, in a statement. “As a result, we are reducing the amounts of the rebates due to this exceptionally strong demand.”
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 15772Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12083Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10914OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9909Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9575Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8649Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 8648Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated