Oklahoma ranks No. 44 in infant mortality
Babies born in Oklahoma have less of a chance than in most states of making it to their first birthday. On Monday, health officials at the Oklahoma Leadership Summit on Infant Mortality focused on how they can work together to help Oklahoma's children.
Anytime Trevor was upset, “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star” usually did the trick.
Melinda Heidling remembers her infant son as a happy baby who loved to play peek-a-boo.
Anyone interested in learning more about infant mortality or the Preparing for a Lifetime initiative can go to the state Health Department's website at www.ok.gov/health/.
Memories are all Heidling has left of her only son.
On Monday, Heidling shared her story of losing Trevor with a group of health and child welfare workers at the Oklahoma Leadership Summit on Infant Mortality.
One of the messages Heidling shared for parents who have lost a child — it's OK to talk about it.
“It's OK to let other people know what you've learned the hard way,” she said.
“Having Trevor die from unsafe sleep is kind of embarrassing because — babies should not die like that. That should not be a reason for them to pass away. If you're embarrassed by it, you wouldn't want other people to be, too. Talk about it when it happens. Be open and honest about it when it happens.”
Oklahoma ranked 44
In 2009, Oklahoma ranked No. 44 in the U.S. in infant mortality, the death of a baby less than 1 year old, according to the state Health Department. Each year, about 400 babies in Oklahoma die before their first birthday, according to the Health Department.
Trevor was born Aug. 18, 2009 and died April 9, 2010.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21736Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17602Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12531Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9970Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9708Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9584Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7184Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense