Oklahoma Rifle Association director: Goal should be to get to heart of the matter
NewsOK Related Articles
Somehow politicians and gun-haters believe that all we must do is “make a law,” as if such action would deter acts of violence. They tout bans and “gun-free zones” as the answer while any thinking individual knows these are largely empty, symbolic gestures.
The Oklahoma Rifle Association supports the National Rifle Association's call for armed officers in every school. With every gun-free zone comes the responsibility of government and the education systems to provide security for our children. We can't have the former without the latter.
The ORA urges the defeat of proposed legislation that attacks and diminishes the right to keep and bear arms guaranteed by the Second Amendment. Instead, let's advance legislation that goes to the heart of the problem to secure the safety of Americans, especially our children. Don't let the nation's law-abiding gun owners become fall guys for the devious or misguided in seats of power.
Smith, of Yukon, is executive director of the Oklahoma Rifle Association.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 21736Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17602Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12531Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9970Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9708Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9584Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7184Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense