Oklahoma scene: Alex Plante, Chris VandeVelde re-sign with Oilers organization
Both players might return to Oklahoma City if they fail to crack Edmonton's final roster out of training camp.
Oklahoma City Barons defenseman Alex Plante and center Chris VandeVelde signed one-year contracts with the Edmonton Oilers. Plante and VandeVelde, who both spent time last season with the National Hockey League team, could be back in Oklahoma City if they fail to make the Oilers' roster in training camp.
Both players contributed to Oklahoma City winning the American Hockey League's West Division and Western Conference championships during the regular season. The Barons reached the AHL semifinals before losing to the Toronto Marlies.
The National Christian Collegiate Athletics Association has four Southern Nazarene football players on its preseason All-America team. Sophomore linebacker Michael Hicks, senior running back Derick Perkins, junior wide receiver Jarod Martin and senior wide receiver Sedrick Johnson were chosen by voters, which included coaches, professional scouts and national media.
Hicks, a former Cushing High standout, was an NAIA All-American last season while helping Southern Nazarene win the Central States Football League championship and qualify for the playoffs. Both were firsts for the football program, which is about to begin its second year of NCAA Division II candidacy. SNU will not be eligible for the NAIA or NCAA Division II playoffs this season, but it can participate in the NCCAA postseason.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in