Oklahoma scene: Barons Jordan Eberle, Justin Schultz honored by American Hockey League
The duo accounted for a combed 40 points in November, helping Oklahoma City move to second place in the South Division.
Two players from the Oklahoma City Barons were honored Monday by the American Hockey League.
Forward Jordan Eberle was named AHL Player of the Month, and rookie defenseman Justin Schultz was selected as the league's Rookie of the Month. Eberle had 21 points and was plus-13 in 13 games. Schultz, who leads the AHL in scoring, had 19 points and was plus-10 during the 13-game stretch. Schultz has won the award two consecutive months.
For more on the Barons, go to page 5C.
DuPAGE WHIPS NEO
College of DuPage (Ill.) scored two touchdowns late the third quarter and two more in the fourth Sunday and went on to beat Northeastern Oklahoma A&M 42-29 in the fourth annual Citizens Bank Bowl before 1,840 fans at Carnie Smith Field in Pittsburg, Kan.
Northeastern A&M (9-3) had 234 yards and two touchdowns passing from quarterback Clayton Mitchem, but the sophomore was also intercepted three times. One interception was returned 22 yards for a touchdown and another 55 yards for a TD. A muffed punt by NEO led to a short scoring drive for DuPage, which finished its season 9-2. Overall, DuPage forced five turnovers while losing the ball just once.
The game was the last for NEO coach Dale Patterson, who announced his resignation shortly after the end of the regular season. Patterson, who will remain the junior college's athletic director, cited spending more time with family as a reason for stepping down. NEO administration hopes to have a new football coach in place by Jan. 1.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 46110Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14982Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9556Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8109Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7765Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7102Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7082Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena