Oklahoma scene: Cowboys complete three-game sweep of Jayhawks
OU women win NCAA gymnastics regional, Edmonton Oilers send three players to Barons.
Previously struggling Oklahoma State completed a three-game sweep of its Big 12 baseball series with Kansas, beating the Jayhawks 4-2 Sunday at Reynolds Stadium.
OSU (17-14 overall, 4-5 Big 12) never trailed Sunday, getting two RBIs from both Robbie Rea and Gabe Weidenaar. Blake Barnes took over for Cowboys starter Vince Wheeland with two outs and the bases loaded in the seventh inning. Barnes escaped the jam and went on to blank Kansas (12-19, 2-7) on no hits, no walks and two strikeouts in 21/3 innings. The save was Barnes' first of the season.
Oklahoma State begins at three-game league series 6 p.m. Friday at Texas.
OU WOMEN WIN REGIONAL
The Oklahoma women's gymnastics team won its NCAA Regional on Saturday in Champaign, Ill. The No. 2-ranked Sooners finished with a 197.025 score; second-place Stanford had a 196.674. The Sooners and Cardinal were the only teams out of the regional to advance to the NCAA Championships, scheduled April 20-23 in Duluth, Ga.
Megan Ferguson starred for OU. The 4-foot-11 senior won the beam title with a 9.9 score. Ferguson also took the floor exercise with a 9.925. She was named afterward as the 2012 South Central Region Gymnast of the Year.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 92690Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17105OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12852Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8967Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8623Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8590How to help tornado victims
- 8406Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located