Oklahoma scene: Cowboys wallop Iowa State in wrestling
Eddie Klimara at 125 pounds, Jon Morrison at 133 pick up bonus-point wins for OSU.
A few days after suffering his first loss of the season, top-ranked 174-pounder Chris Perry helped Oklahoma State whip Iowa State 25-9 in Big 12 wrestling Sunday in Ames.
Perry improved 22-1 with a 3-0 decision over Tanner Weatherman to give the Cowboys an early lead. After Iowa State rebounded with decision wins at 184 and 197 pounds, OSU took control by winning six of the next seven matches. The Cowboys picked up two bonus-point wins, one coming at 125, where Eddie Klimara beat Ryak Finch, 11-2.
The other came at 133 pounds as Jon Morrison won by injury default over John Meeks.
Oklahoma State gets the week off, before going to Kent, Ohio, to participate in the National Wrestling Coaches Association Duals on Feb. 16.
BARONS ADD DEFENSEMAN
The Oklahoma City Barons continued to shore up the back end Sunday by signing defenseman Randy Jones. The 6-foot-2, 205-pounder played 39 games last season with the Winnipeg Jets; overall, Jones has played in 365 NHL games with the Jets, Philadelphia Flyers, Los Angeles Kings and Tampa Bay Lightning. Jones' signing comes almost two weeks after Oklahoma City added another former NHL defenseman, Brett Clark, to the roster.
Jones has 169 points in 518 professional games, which includes time in the American Hockey League.
Oklahoma City hosts the Grand Rapids Griffins at 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Cox Center.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims