Oklahoma scene: Douglass' Deondre Clark gets offer from Alabama
Clark, who recently said Oklahoma is no longer an option, has offers from all over the country.
Douglass junior Deondre Clark received a football scholarship offer from Alabama, according to Douglass coach Willis Alexander.
Clark, a 6-foot-3, 240-pound defensive end who set a school record with 22 sacks last season to earn a spot on The Oklahoman's All-State team, has offers from all across the country, and he has been gaining a lot of interest in the Southeastern Conference. LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia, Missouri, Ole Miss and several others have offered Clark, and a few of them — along with Alabama — will likely be among his final choices. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, USC and more than a dozen other schools have offered Clark, who was No. 1 on The Oklahoman's Super 30 recruiting rankings for the 2014 class.
Clark will also attend the Under Armour All-America combine in Dallas on March 17, and will be strongly considered for a spot in the All-America game next January.
Clark said last week that he is no longer considering Oklahoma as an option, following the dismissal of defensive line coach Jackie Shipp, with whom he had a strong relationship.
OU softball team still No. 1
Despite suffering its first loss of the season, the Oklahoma softball team is still No. 1 in the ESPN.com/USA Softball poll.
The Sooners (18-1) received 10 first-place votes. No. 2 Alabama (22-0) trails the Sooners by two points and also received 10 first-place votes.
SHIELDS WINS GALLAGHER AWARD
Jim Shields has been named the recipient of the 2013 Gallagher Award, presented by Oklahoma State's wrestling program to an alumnus who “exemplifies the spirit and leadership eminent in the tradition of champions.”
Shields was a starter for the Cowboys in 1971 and won the Big Eight title at 177 points. He was an assistant coach at OSU from 1988-91. He will receive the award before the Bedlam dual on March 8.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 64206Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14590Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8849Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 6802How to help tornado victims
- 6783Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6409Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6168Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes