Oklahoma scene: Freshman Madison Mercado scores twice as Cowgirls rout Creighton
Vanderbilt comes back to tie OU 1-1 in soccer. Bacone opens football season with 25-20 win over Tabor (Kan.).
Oklahoma State scored four unanswered goals Sunday afternoon en route to beating Creighton 4-1 in soccer in Stillwater. Creighton (0-2-1) scored just 1:59 into the match, when Sarah Kendall punched a shot just inside the post. But the No. 5-ranked Cowgirls (4-0-0) came back with two goals from freshman Madison Mercado and one each from Megan Marchesano and Taylor Mathews.
*Oklahoma led early but came away with a 1-1 tie against Vanderbilt at John Crain Field in Norman. Samantha Howell scored early for the Sooners (2-1-1), but the Commodores (1-1-1) answered in the 58th minute. Cheyna Williams took advantage of an OU defensive miscue and fired the ball past goalkeeper Kelsey Devonshire.
BACONE WINS OPENER
College football season started in Oklahoma late Saturday, when Bacone trimmed Tabor (Kan.) 25-20 in an NAIA game at the Indian Bowl in Muskogee. Running back Aron McCoy had 128 yards on 13 carries, including a 54-yard touchdown run, for Bacone. Kyle Kuban threw for 109 yards and a TD, and kicker Jamie Moore added 48- and 42-yard field goals.
AROUND AND AROUND
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 20008Oklahoma tornadoes: Six May 20 tornado rumors corrected
- 14873Moore milestones: Missing moms make graduation day bittersweet
- 11274Live reporting: President Obama leaves Oklahoma after touring tornado damage in Moore
- 11227Oklahoma tornadoes: Two arms that didn't know they were broken helped rescue children at Briarwood Elementary
- 7454Three Oklahoma men die in wrecks on state roads
- 6157President Barack Obama to tour tornado damage in Oklahoma
- 6108Oklahoma tornadoes: 'Moore is going to come back stronger,' Obama says during visit