Oklahoma scene: Future OSU player Marcus Smart starts for U.S. National Team
Guard has three points and two assists as U.S. blisters Virgin Islands in FIBA Americas Under-18 basketball tournament
Incoming Oklahoma State freshman Marcus Smart started at guard Saturday for the U.S. National Team, which hammered the U.S. Virgin Islands 105-42 in the first round of the FIBA Americas Under-18 basketball championships in Sao Sebastiao Paraiso, Brazil.
Smart scored three points, grabbed two rebounds and added two assists. He had a blocked shot and team-best two steals.
The U.S. National Team took advantage of its size as the frontcourt players scored 79 points. The U.S. outrebounded the Virgin Islands 64-30.
The U.S. will play Mexico at noon Sunday. Live streaming of the game is available at www.fibasmericas.com.
JOHNSON WINS SPEEDWEEK RACE
Oklahoma City native Wayne Johnson led from start to finish and won the American Sprint Car Series' National Tour race late Friday night at Devil's Bowl Speedway in Mesquite, Texas. The race was the first on the ASCS' 2012 Speedweek event in which drivers accumulate national points as well compete for prize money within a week's time at tracks in Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas and Missouri.
Johnson, who leads the national standings by 14 points over Eunice, La., driver Jason Johnson, managed to hang on despite three cautions for disabled cars and a red flag for a late-race crash by Martin Edwards. Former World of Outlaws drivers Danny Lasoski and Johnny Herrera finished second and third, respectively. Brady Bacon of Broken Arrow finished sixth, and Danny Wood of Norman followed in seventh.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 17743Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 11674Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10443Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 10260OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10191Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9850Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9805Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments