Oklahoma scene: Milwaukee hammers Barons, 8-2
Juuso Puustinen's hat trick sinks Oklahoma City. Tyler Bunz's first action as an AHL goaltender less than spectacular.
Juuso Puustinen scored three goals on five shots Friday night, leading the Milwaukee Admirals to an 8-2 American Hockey League rout of the Oklahoma City Barons at BMO Harris Bradley Center. The Barons (19-17-6) continued a recent tailspin since losing seven players to the parent Edmonton Oilers.
Oklahoma City dropped to 2-7-2 in the month of January.
Milwaukee scored once on the power play, once while short-handed and six times while the teams were even strength. The Admirals (18-17-6) touched starting goaltender Olivier Roy for three goals on 14 shots; Barons coach Todd Nelson pulled Roy in favor of rookie Tyler Bunz, whose first AHL action was less than impressive. Milwaukee scored on its first shot against Bunz, and the Admirals finished with five goals on 15 total shots against the 20-year-old.
Ryan Martindale and Toni Rajala had Oklahoma City's only goals.
The Barons wrap up a three-game road trip at 7:05 p.m. Saturday at Rockford.
LEHIGH EDGES SOONERS
No. 14-ranked Lehigh won the last three matches Friday night and posted a 21-14 wrestling victory over No. 11 Oklahoma before 2,716 fans at Stabler Arena in Bethlehem, Pa.
Kendric Maple, ranked No. 1 at 141 pounds, improved to 20-0 this season, beating Anthony Salupo, 15-5. Fourth-ranked Bubby Graham (165 pounds) and No. 9 Cody Brewer (133) also won for the Sooners.
Unranked Shane Welsh had a big win for Lehigh, when he decisioned No. 9 Nick Lester 3-2 at 149 pounds.
OU (6-5) next wrestles Sunday afternoon at Virginia Tech.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad