Oklahoma scene: No. 16 OCU outlasts No. 19 Bacone in wrestling
Noble product Michael Brown gets bonus point win late to help Stars edge Warriors, 25-21
Michael Brown won by major decision Thursday night, helping Oklahoma City University trim Bacone 25-21 in NAIA wrestling at Abe Lemons Arena. The sophomore from Noble whipped Vincent Opuiyo 9-1 at 197 pounds. The bonus-point victory proved even more valuable as Bacone's Cesar Ponce decisioned Stanley Lattimore 6-2 at heavyweight in the last match of the dual.
OCU (2-1) entered the dual ranked No. 16 in the country. Bacone (1-1) stood No. 19.
“It was a good way to finish the match ... we have a lot of confidence in Mike Brown,” OCU coach Archie Randall said. “Mike Brown does a good job. He should be ranked in the top two or three in the next couple of weeks.”
Oklahoma City won five of the last six matches. Mark Meyer (157 pounds) and Tyson Campbell (174) won by fall. Zach Skates won by technical fall, 23-7 over John Kahler at 165 pounds.
STATE COLLEGE HOOPS
Kaitlyn Morris and Krista Stevens hit a free throw each within the last 19 seconds Thursday night, and Oklahoma Christian held on for a 62-56 women's small college basketball win over Panhandle State in Goodwell. Katy O'Steen finished with 17 points, and Stevens added 11 as the Eagles improved to 4-3. Whitley Coca, who drew Panhandle State within four with 3-pointer with 1:46 left, topped the Aggies (2-6) with 17 points.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 23122Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10571Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6943OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5977OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5278Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5014Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3834Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater