Oklahoma scene: OBU sophomore Hannah Helker earns national honor for cross country
The former Edmond North High School standout finished 3.1-mile race in 18:06, almost a minute ahead of runner-up
Oklahoma Baptist University sophomore Hannah Helker was named NAIA Cross Country Runner of the Week. The former Edmond North High standout won the Central Oklahoma Land Run on Sept. 8, finishing the 3.1-mile race in 18 minutes, 6 seconds. Helker was 58 seconds ahead of the second-placer finisher. The race was made up of 66 runners from the NAIA and NCAA Division II levels.
JUST FOR KICKS
Meghan McMahon and Allison Worsham had two goals apiece as No. 5-ranked Oklahoma City University whipped MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) 5-0 on Friday at the John Brown Classic in Siloam Springs, Ark. Alissa Reed and Ashley Bechtold split time in goal for OCU; Reed made the only save of the game for the Stars, in the 45th minute.
*Central Oklahoma made its soccer debut in the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association with a 1-0 victory Friday over Missouri Southern at Tom Thompson Field in Edmond. Kate Foran accounted for the Bronchos' goal, scoring in the 29th minute. UCO goalkeeper Megan Burke made seven saves, including five in the second half as Missouri Southern (11-5) tried to tie. UCO (6-0) will host Southwestern Oklahoma State (5-0) at 1 p.m. Sunday in Edmond.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister