Oklahoma scene: OCU routs Central Methodist in first round of NAIA Championships
Defending national champ forces Central Missouri into 28 turnovers. Lauren Gober scores 17 points, grabs eight rebounds.
Central Methodist was no match for defending NAIA women's basketball champion Oklahoma City. Lauren Gober had 17 points and eight rebounds Wednesday as top-seeded OCU hammered the Eagles 74-39 in the first round of the NAIA Championships at the Frankfort Convention Center in Frankford, Ky.
OCU (27-3) cruised from the start, jumping to a 24-4 lead. The Stars forced Central Missouri (25-8) into 28 turnovers, and no Eagles player scored in double figures.
Katie Hall had 15 points, and Desiree Jeffries added 11 for OCU, which plays Shawnee State (Ohio) at 9:45 a.m. Friday in a second-round game.
*Southwestern Assemblies of God (Texas) scored 22 points off turnovers Wednesday, and that contributed to a 62-58 victory over University of Science and Arts of Oklahoma in the first round of the NAIA Men's Basketball Championships in Kansas City, Mo. Mike Nwelue had a game-high 19 points for Southwestern Assemblies, which trailed by five points at halftime.
Jahseth Lloyd led USAO (17-10) with 11 points and eight rebounds.
*Southern Nazarene is in the semifinals of the National Christian College Athletic Association Women's Basketball Tournament. The Crimson Storm advanced with a 79-49 rout of Shorter (Ga.) on Wednesday in Winona Lake, Ind. Annie Kassongo had 19 points, and Aminata Fall added 17 points and a game-best 19 rebounds for Southern Nazarene, which will play either top-seeded Union (Tenn.) or Roberts Wesleyan (N.Y.) at 7 p.m. Thursday.
The Southern Nazarene women's program is a former NAIA power playing in the NCCAA tournament while it fulfills candidacy requirements to become an NCAA Division II member.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11312Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5665Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5178Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4351Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4349OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4135How to help tornado victims