Oklahoma scene: OKC RIVERSPORT captures 11 gold medals at USA Sprint Nationals
Jones resident Dylan Puckett named to U.S. team for Olympic Hopes Regatta in Hungary.
OKC RIVERSPORT athletes won 35 medals at the 2012 USA Canoe/Kayak Sprint National and Masters Championships last weekend in Seattle. OKC RIVERSPORT captured 11 gold medals, 11 silver medals and 13 bronze medals.
Garrett Wampler became the first Chickasaw youth athlete to win a gold medal for OKC RIVERSPORT. Paddling with three members of the Seattle Canoe/Kayak Club in a race for ages 13 and younger, Wampler's team finished first in the 1,000-meter event.
The Chickasaw Nation started a youth league last year on the Oklahoma River.
Other first-place finishers from OKC RIVERSPORT included kayaker Dylan Puckett; kayaker Kaitlyn McElroy (three golds); Mia Overton in canoe; and kayaker Sherry Andrusiak (three individual golds in the Masters Championships, competition among adults in different age groups).
Andrusiak also partnered with Joe Jacobi, chief executive officer of Canoe/Kayak in Oklahoma City, to win a Mixed Masters event in kayaking. Jacobi also captured gold in a men's 500-meter kayaking race.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 43037Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15155Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9718Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8776Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8708Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7875Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7675Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena