Oklahoma scene: Oklahoma Baptist basketball player Allie Brandenburg released from hospital
The junior guard temporarily lost feeling in her arms after scuffling for basketball against Southwestern Christian. Another OBU player, Bretlin Gabelmann, suffered a minor knee injury.
The Oklahoma Baptist University women's basketball team received a scare Friday night, when guard Allie Brandenburg temporarily lost feeling in her arms after battling for the ball with a Southwestern Christian player at the Noble Complex. OBU sports information director Ray Fink said Brandenburg lay motionless on the court for several minutes. Athletic trainers called for paramedics, who placed the junior on a stretcher and transported her across the street to a Shawnee hospital.
Brandenburg underwent a CT scan, which showed no clear-cut injury. The Spring, Texas, native was released after further evaluation.
“Someone said she was scuffling for the ball, and she was hit in the back,” Fink said after OBU whipped Southwestern Christian, 78-47. Fink said the Bison also lost shooting guard Bretlin Gabelmann to a possible knee injury. He said early indications are the injury is not serious.
BACON WINS FIRST SPRINT RACE
Brady Bacon of Broken Arrow won the first of three sprint car feature races at the 45th annual FVP Western World Championships late Thursday night at Canyon Speedway Park in Peoria, Ariz. The American Sprint Series National Tour is having races for both winged and non-winged cars, and Bacon triumphed in the winged class. Bryan Clauson of Noblesville, Ind., won the non-winged feature race on Canyon's third-mile dirt track.
Bacon led the 25-lap race from start to finish, which automatically qualified him for Saturday night's grand finale worth $10,000 to the winner. Bacon has won the Western World Championships twice. Oklahoma City native Wayne Johnson finished third Thursday night. Glenpool resident Matt Covington, who won both the Sooner and Lone Star region championships this season, flipped his sprinter on the opening lap. He was not injured.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 64632Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14648Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8984Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7016Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6971How to help tornado victims
- 6471Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6275Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes