Oklahoma scene: Oral Roberts interested in joining Southland Conference
Oral Roberts University will enter talks about possibly joining the Southland Conference, ORU athletic director Mike Carter confirmed Thursday.
“No invitation is expected any time soon. Nothing is pending,” Carter said. “They're interested in us and they've asked us to come and visit with them about it.”
Carter said such talks would occur in the next couple of weeks.
Southland commissioner Tom Burnett confirmed a mutual interest between the parties, but said the clock might not be ticking as quickly as some have speculated.
"There is a curiosity (toward ORU), but I could probably say the same about maybe a dozen schools in our geographic footprint,” Burnett said.
ORU is a 14-year member of the 10-school Summit League, mostly comprised of mid-major schools in the Upper Midwest.
More on TulsaWorld.com
Sooners upset Texas
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 96630Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13870Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9391Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8546Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8291OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7627How to help tornado victims
- 7193Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges