Oklahoma scene: OU's Keilani Ricketts holds Venezuela to one hit; OBU hires Peter McCorkle
OU pitcher Keilani Ricketts held Venezuela to just one hit as the USA Softball National Team opened play at the ISF XIII Women's World Fastpitch Championship with a 7-0 win Friday.
OU pitcher Keilani Ricketts held Venezuela to just one hit as the USA Softball National Team opened play at the ISF XIII Women's World Fastpitch Championship with a 7-0 win Friday. The game featured a Sooner battery as Ricketts' OU teammate Jessica Shults got the start behind the plate for Team USA.
Ricketts threw her third complete game of the summer for the U.S. and picked up her sixth win. She allowed just one hit and no walks while striking out six. Ricketts, who will be a senior at OU this fall, has an ERA of 0.56 in 37 2/3 innings of action for Team USA this year.
The U.S. team returns to action Saturday against the Czech Republic.
OBU HIRES MCCORKLE
Oklahoma Baptist University has hired 2009 OBU graduate Peter McCorkle as tennis coach for both the men's and women's programs.
“We are excited to welcome Peter back to OBU as our tennis coach,” said OBU Athletic Director Robert Davenport. “He has a great background of both playing and coaching tennis. He is a perfect fit for our athletes and can continue the growth and improvement in our teams.”
McCorkle has coached at Cascia Hall, where coached the boys team to a state title in 2010, and served as tennis instructor at Lafortune Tennis Center. He also has worked as a zone and area coach for the United States Tennis Association.
Interim tennis coach Steve Fluke will return full-time to his duties as assistant athletic director at OBU.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 83313Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 56374Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33323Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 23846Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 23231Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8483Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8265Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters