Portland Trail Blazers hire OBU women's basketball coach John McCullough for scouting position
OKLAHOMA SCENE -- Former Oklahoma Baptist player Casi Cox-Bays is OBU's interim women's basketball coach, replacing John McCullough, who joins his former OU teammate Terry Stotts on the Portland Trail Blazers staff.
John McCullough has resigned as Oklahoma Baptist University women's basketball coach to take a position with the Portland Trail Blazers of the NBA. McCullough, a longtime friend of new Portland coach Terry Stotts, will be an advance scout. Stotts and McCullough were teammates in the late 1970s at Oklahoma.
McCullough's assistant at Oklahoma Baptist, Casi Cox-Bays, has been named interim head coach of the NAIA program in Shawnee. OBU had a 272-131 record in 12 seasons under McCullough. The Bison won two Sooner Athletic Conference championships and made the NAIA Tournament's “Fab Four” during the 2008-09 season.
Cox-Bays starred as a player at Oklahoma Baptist, finishing her career as the program's fifth all-time scorer (1,879 points). She spent five seasons as a high school head coach, compiling 99-28 record at Newcastle and Bridge Creek.
JOHNSON CREDITED WITH WIN
Oklahoma City native Wayne Johnson was credited with the feature win last weekend at the American Sprint Car Series' national tour race at Lawton Speedway. Johnson originally finished second in the 30-lap race, but he benefitted from a post-race inspection when officials noticed a mandated muffler on the sprinter driven by Jason Johnson was missing. Jason Johnson, a Eunice, La., resident, not only was disqualified, but he also lost the national standings lead to Wayne Johnson. The national tour makes its last Oklahoma stop of the season at 7 p.m. Friday at the Salina Highbanks Speedway near Pryor. Wayne Johnson leads Jason Johnson (no relation) by 39 points.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 33223Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15512Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9978Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9860Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9472Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8063Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8003Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister