Oklahoma schools superintendent lashes out at board member
Oklahoma schools Superintendent Janet Barresi lashed out against a member of the state Board of Education after a contentious board meeting that ended with a delay in the release of the A-F grades for schools statewide.
State schools Superintendent Janet Barresi lashed out against a member of the state Board of Education after a contentious board meeting that ended with a delay in the release of the A-F grades for schools statewide.
Videoview all videos
Oct 4A group of school superintendents from districts across...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Board member Joy Hofmeister asked why a list of questions about the A-F system posed by superintendents in recent weeks hadn't been passed along to board members in a timely fashion.
Barresi said she thought the questions had been emailed to board members and then included in a previous meeting packet.
She said the omission was unintentional.
After the meeting, Barresi approached Hofmeister.
“You can say what you want to about me — not my people,” Barresi said, pointing in Hofmeister's face.
“I didn't say anything,” Hofmeister said.
“Yes, you did, and I don't appreciate it,” Barresi said before going into her office for a closed-door meeting with staff members.
After the meeting, Barresi said Hofmeister's implication that staff members were intentionally keeping information secret was inappropriate. Hofmeister could not immediately be reached for comment.
Gov. Mary Fallin appointed Hofmeister to the state Board of Education in January. Hofmeister is a former public schoolteacher who operates a math and reading program for children in south Tulsa.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad