Oklahoma should adopt path of progressiveness
At this season of thankfulness, the people of Oklahoma should say a prayer of Thanksgiving that the majority of voters in the United States were able to pull Oklahoma into an era of better living. Many Oklahomans voted for a party that doesn't have their best interests at heart. A large number of Oklahomans have contributed time, money and lots of effort to a group of special, powerful interests that don't provide a platform beneficial to most Oklahomans. Too many Oklahomans have been manipulated to be pawns in forces that aren't friendly to their values. The initiatives in health care reform, financial institution reform, tax revisions and economy improvement that have been under way during the last four years will prove to benefit Oklahomans in the long run.
NewsOK Related Articles
Gov. Mary Fallin recently aired public advertisements stating that Oklahoma is the envy of the nation. Do other states envy Oklahoma's educational level, which is 47th out of 50? How about our personal income level of 44th out of 50? Our high teen pregnancy rates, our low life-expectancy rates are among other indicators that Oklahoma has a long way to go. The rest of the United States wants to make a path of progressiveness which Oklahomans would be wise to adopt and unwise to fight so stubbornly.
Colleen Walker, Edmond
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 87104Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16817OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12528Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 9682Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8846Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation