Oklahoma State basketball: Cowboy defense sparks win streak
On the season, OSU is holding opponents to 57.8 points per game on 34.5 percent shooting (11th best in the nation).
The Oklahoma State offense arrived in style Sunday afternoon, producing a season-high in points during an impressive 81-58 blowout of Portland State.
Photoview all 12 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But the Cowboys' defense has consistently been there, stifling opponents throughout their five-game win streak to start the season.
Overall, OSU is holding opponents to 57.8 points per game on 34.5 percent shooting (11th best in the nation).
“That's (our identity), that's who we want to be,” OSU coach Travis Ford said. “That's who we should be. Percentages and points allowed are goals we're trying to reach.”
The Cowboys have held four straight opponents under 40 percent shooting and three straight opponents under 60 points, both impressive marks.
But despite that, the perfectionist in Ford wasn't happy with the 58 points and 39.6 percent they gave up to Portland State on Sunday.
“I wasn't real happy with our defense in the second half,” he said. “We really could have set a tone and met some goals for ourselves, but the three-point percentages were a little higher than what we want.”
After a recent string of gut-punching injury news, OSU received a pair of promising diagnoses this week.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments