Oklahoma State basketball: Cowboys crippled by foul woes
OSU's starting big men — center Philip Jurick and Kamari Murphy — were limited to six and three minutes, respectively, in the first half Saturday, due to foul trouble. Marcus Smart picked up his second and third fouls less than two minutes into the second half.
Videoview all videos
Jan 7Markel Brown and Marcus Smart talk about the loss to...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
And the No. 22 Cowboys never seemed to be themselves, falling 73-67 at Kansas State.
“That really hurt us, because Philip's our one physical presence,” said OSU coach Travis Ford. “He can guard people one-on-one. And when Marcus got his third, it wasn't good. I thought it took our aggressiveness away a little, especially his, and that's what he excels on.
“I don't want to make any excuses, but that foul trouble took a little of our energy away and created a little hesitation.”
Maybe the game's start should have served a warning, as Murphy was called for his first four fouls two seconds in.
“I got in early foul trouble — since the tipoff,” Murphy said. “Just watching from the bench is always frustrating. As a freshman, I go through certain things that all freshmen go through. It's up to me to get through it.”
LOST AND FOUND: K-STATE'S MCGRUDER
Wildcats guard Rodney McGruder entered as his team's leading scorer (13.7 points per game) and a noted clutch player through the course of four seasons.
So he shouldn't have been a mystery for the Cowboys.
Maybe a 1-for-6 first half of shooting took him off the radar, but McGruder did his thing and more over the final 20 minutes, scoring 26 of his game-high 28 points.
“We lost him,” Smart said. “Our defensive matchups got lost. We switched a lot of screens and he just found open spots and knocked down some shots.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 58670Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 34839Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32331Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 11019Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8824Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5821Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3796OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins