Oklahoma State basketball: Le'Bryan Nash named to Preseason All-Big 12 Team, Marcus Smart named Preseason Freshman of the year
Oklahoma State's expectations for a bounce-back season received some degree of confirmation Thursday.
In a polling of the conference's coaches, sophomore Le'Bryan Nash was named to the Preseason All-Big 12 Team and Marcus Smart was named Preseason Freshman of the year.
There's backing for optimism at Oklahoma, too, with Amath M'Baye tabbed as Preseason Newcomer of the Year and Romero Osby and Steven Pledger both receiving honorable mention status to the All-Big 12 Team.
OSU finished 15-18 overall and 7-11 in the Big 12, while the Sooners went 15-16, but both are looking to move up in the conference standings.
For the Cowboys, Smart gives the program back-to-back top freshmen nods, after Nash took the preseason honor a year ago. Smart, also an honorable mention pick for the team, was named a Freshman All-American by Sporting News earlier in the week.
“Marcus worked extremely hard and accomplished a lot in high school to earn and deserve this reputation as one of the top freshmen in the country,” OSU coach Travis Ford said. “We look forward to him making an immediate impact on our basketball team.”
Nash averaged 13.3 points and 5.0 rebounds a year ago for the Cowboys. In conference play, where he started all 18 games, he averaged 14.7 points and 5.1 boards.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law