Oklahoma State basketball: Michael Cobbins starting to regain form
Forward has returned from a broken toe to be a big part of the Cowboys' run.
“It makes the defender respect me. It can leaver other people open. If you hit that shot, other teams will respect it and they'll play their defense a little different.”
Cobbins made that happen against the Jayhawks, drawing KU center Jeff Withey away from the basket and even hitting one shot over him.
The Cowboys couldn't have pulled off their most meaningful win in years without the scoring and leadership of Brown and Smart. But they'd have been in trouble, too, minus Cobbins' quiet performance: eight points, eight rebounds, four blocked shots and two steals in a season-high 35 minutes.
“We had some incredible individual performances,” Ford said, “but Michael Cobbins I thought just competed the whole game and made a lot of big plays, from blocking shots to rebounding to putbacks to screening.”
OSU's cast is expanding. Brown, Smart, Le'Bryan Nash and reserve guard Phil Forte all average double figures in scoring. Philip Jurick leads the team in rebounding. Brian Williams, a former starter, has just returned from injury.
And here comes Cobbins.
“Mike's a good player,” Brown said. “He got injured, slowed down a little bit. But I think he's picking it back up again. Coach put him back in the lineup and I think picked up his confidence.
“Now he's starting to do the things that we need for us to win.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister