Oklahoma State basketball notebook: A Kansas hangover for Cowboys?
Moving on to next game was not easy for Pokes; fans, students offered congrats in days following win over Kansas.
OSU coach Travis Ford started trying to guard against a post-Kansas hangover immediately following Saturday's big win in Lawrence, going low-key in the post-game press conference.
Videoview all videos
Feb 7Markel Brown hit the game-winning shot with 0.2 seconds...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
It was a message he wanted his players to comprehend, with Baylor — a team that had already beaten the Cowboys — due up next in Gallagher-Iba Arena.
Easier said than done, Ford said, after watching his team scuffle through a 69-67 win over the Bears on Wednesday night.
“We started on Monday talking about the next game,” Ford said. “But they can't go around the corner without being congratulated. And we love it. But there was no way to forget about it. There was no way to shake it. Every time you turn around, someone's wanting to talk about it.”
By the time the team bus returned to Gallagher-Iba on Saturday night, some 200 fans and the spirit band were waiting to great the Cowboys. And the buzz, looking back, has continued on this week.
“But we're excited about it,” Ford said. “We're glad the fans got excited, the students. We wouldn't have it any other way. But yes, we're definitely 18-, 19-, 20-year old kids on the court.”
COBBINS COMES THROUGH
While most of the Cowboys struggled through uneven performances Wednesday night, forward Michael Cobbins continued his recent strong play.
Cobbins grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds, scored nine points and blocked two shots, including Baylor's final attempt in overtime.
“We continue to challenge Michael all the time to have a physical presence inside,” Ford said. “To have a physical presence about him. How do you have presence? You block shots. You defend. You rebound above the rim. That's how you let yourself be know.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister