Oklahoma State basketball notebook: Cowboys 'Remember The 10,' visit with Eddie Sutton
Before Saturday's 80-66 win over West Virginia, the OSU players filed into the stands to address former OSU coach Eddie Sutton.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 18 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“A few times the ball got turned lose and the guy on him left and that left him open,” Harris said. “Other times he shouldn't have gotten any shots off. We just did dumb stuff. All he does is shoot.”
JURICK'S PRESENCE NOTED
While Forte and Markel Brown were the obvious scoring story lines, combining for 50 points, center Philip Jurick added eight points — and a game-high 12 rebounds, several on putbacks.
“He was terrific,” Ford said. “The eight points is a bonus for us. But I really loved the rebounds he was getting early in the game, bringing that presence in the lane.”
DEFENSIVE SWITCH SPURS COWBOYS
OSU prefers man-to-man defense.
But in times of need — like Saturday — Ford will flip to a zone. Against the Mountaineers, Ford went to a 2-3 zone and stuck with it.
“The zone really helped us,” Ford said. “It changed momentum a little bit.
“We always have it ready. We work on it periodically, not a whole lot.”
Not only did the zone affect WVU's offense, it aided the Cowboys' offense, with Mountaineers misses leading to fast-break opportunities.
“You get them shooting longer shots, they rebound a little longer and we get out on the fast break,” Ford said. “Getting out on the break was huge, really big for us. When we were struggling in the half-court, to get out and get a few baskets really helps your confidence.”
Wednesday: vs. Iowa State, 7 p.m.
Saturday: at Kansas, 3 p.m.
Feb. 6: Baylor, 6 p.m.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister