Oklahoma state Capitol tree lighting is scheduled
The lighting of the Oklahoma state Capitol Christmas tree is scheduled for 6:15 p.m. Thursday on the south steps of the Capitol. Gov. Mary Fallin will give brief remarks before the 30-foot artificial Christmas tree is lighted.
The lighting of the Capitol Christmas tree is scheduled for 6:15 p.m. Thursday on the south steps of the Capitol. Gov. Mary Fallin will give brief remarks before the 30-foot artificial Christmas tree is lighted.
The governor will be joined by schoolchildren from across the state for the annual event.
Before the lighting ceremony, more than 1,000 students will decorate about 40 small Christmas trees throughout the Capitol.
The students, ranging in grade level from preschool to eighth grade, will come from across the state. Other activities include storytelling, music, dance, refreshments and a visit from Santa Claus.
Activities start at 3 p.m., with participants moving outdoors about 5:30 p.m. for the Christmas tree lighting program, which is expected to last about 30 minutes.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14804OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10332Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6926Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6240Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6240Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5695Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4108Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?