• At stake: House Bill 1242 would allow a district judge, municipal judge or retired district judge to carry a firearm anywhere in the state for personal protection
• What happened: Passed the House 78-12
• What's next: Goes to the governor
• At stake: House Bill 1313 would require school boards to adopt grading policies that contain provisions for the assignment of grades on class work, examinations and final class grades. The policies must require teachers to assign grades that reflect mastery of assignments, not require teachers to assign a minimum grade for an assignment without regard to the quality of work. It also may allow a student who received a failing grade an opportunity to make up assignments or examinations.
• What happened: Failed in the House 48-43 (51 votes needed for passage)
• What's next: The bill's author used a parliamentary procedure to be able to bring the bill up for another vote
MICHAEL MCNUTT, CAPITOL BUREAU