Oklahoma State football assistant leaves for Ole Miss
STILLWATER — An Oklahoma State offseason already filled with coaching staff turnover got a late curveball Tuesday, with news surfacing that cornerbacks coach Jason Jones has left Stillwater after five seasons to take a similar position at Mississippi.
Videoview all videos
Mar 5The start of spring drills less than a week away,...
Mar 4Jenni Carlson and Gina Mizell discuss potential Oklahoma...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
An OSU source confirmed Jones’ departure, which was first reported by KFOR’s Bob Barry Jr.
The move leaves the Cowboys shorthanded less than a week before spring practice begins. Cornerback is projected to be one of the premium position battles, with sophomores Kevin Peterson and Ashton Lampkin bidding to replace Brodrick Brown opposite returning starter Justin Gilbert.
Jones’ departure means OSU will have four new assistant coaches in 2013.
Mike Yurcich was hired as offensive coordinator to replace Todd Monken, who took the head coaching job at Southern Miss. Jason Ray replaced receivers coach Doug Meacham, who left to become Houston’s offensive coordinator. Joe Bob Clements was hired as the defensive line coach, which helped fill the void left by former defensive coordinator Bill Young, who was not retained after the 2012 season. Additionally, Glenn Spencer was promoted from co-defensive coordinator to defensive coordinator.
Jones is the fifth assistant during the Mike Gundy era to leave for another position coaching job, joining Gunter Brewer, Curtis Luper, Trooper Taylor and Robert Gillespie. Seven former Gundy assistants have left for promotions, including four who were hired as head coaches.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 83533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16617OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12334Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11110Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8849How to help tornado victims