Oklahoma State football: Backup QB J.W. Walsh leads OSU to 65-24 win
Videoview all videos
Sep 16When starting QB Wes Lunt is lost to injury less then two...
Sep 15Gina Mizell and Jenni Carlson talk about the injury to...
Photoview all 60 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Backup quarterback J.W. Walsh shined while taking over for Lunt, directing an offense that put up a school-record 742 yards. He completed 21 of his 30 passes for 347 yards and added 73 rushing yards and a score.
“We know J.W. can make plays,” OSU running back Joseph Randle said. “We weren't too worried about it. At a young age, he's a leader on our team, regardless of where he's at on the depth chart.”
And for the short-term, Walsh is No. 1 on the depth chart, starting with OSU's upcoming bye week.
Before the season, that open date was viewed as an extra week for Lunt to continue to get comfortable in OSU's offensive system before its Big 12 opener against Texas. Now, the coaches will use that time to start to cater the Cowboys' spread to Walsh's skill set as a runner and thrower, though Monken said the base of the offense will remain the same.
Looking further into the distance, though, Monken is hopeful Lunt will quarterback the Cowboys again in 2012.
“Wes is our guy,” Monken said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12287Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11384Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6956Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6508Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4900Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4357OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3734Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law