Oklahoma State football: BCS game remains a possibility for Cowboys
Bedlam game vs. OU will play a huge role if OSU will make the BCS cut
STILLWATER — Jeremy Smith doesn't spend much time mixing, matching and projecting Oklahoma State's possible bowl destinations.
“All that stuff is too confusing,” the Cowboy running back said with a laugh.
Videoview all videos
Nov 19The OSU head coach talks Bedlam and what it means to him...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
But this time of year, fans and followers like to speculate. Even OSU coach Mike Gundy said his kids have thrown out their predictions on where the Cowboys will finish their season in late December or early January.
And reaching a BCS game is still a possibility for the Cowboys, with this week's Bedlam showdown against Oklahoma serving as a knockout game of sorts, at least for OSU.
“I didn't even know that,” Smith said. “That's pretty exciting, but we're all just trying to get these last two wins.”
Kansas State is likely out of the national title picture after its loss to Baylor, but still has the inside track to the Big 12 championship and a Fiesta Bowl berth with a 7-1 conference record and just one game remaining. But OU, which stands at 6-1, sits just behind, while Texas and OSU are both 5-2.
That means the Sooners, Longhorns and Cowboys are all still in contention to grab a BCS at-large bid, most likely to the Sugar Bowl, if they win out. OU could also snag the Big 12 crown if it beats OSU and TCU, and K-State loses to UT on Dec. 1.
There's even a set of circumstances — OSU wins out, UT beats TCU and K-State and OU loses Bedlam but beats TCU — that would result in all four teams finishing tied atop the conference standings at 7-2. In that case, UT would earn the automatic bid to the Fiesta Bowl because it went 2-1 against the other co-champs and beat K-State, which also posted a 2-1 record against those teams.
“There's so many scenarios sitting there right now,” Gundy said. “I don't know if you could predict what would happen. I don't pay attention to them, because it's really just a waste of time.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 30612Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15589Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10266Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9653Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9634Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8172Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8167Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena