Oklahoma State football: Bowl brings Brodrick Brown full circle
Brown said: “I guess I've got to end it in Dallas, where I started. Hopefully, that's a good thing.”
The formal introduction of Brodrick Brown took place in Dallas.
Three years later, he'll be closing his career back where it all began.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Brown was thrown into the spotlight in the 2010 Cotton Bowl, stepping in for the suspended Perrish Cox on the eve of the game. Little known at the time, after being limited during the season due to a broken arm, Brown made his first career start against Ole Miss.
“I guess I've got to end it in Dallas, where I started,” he said. “Hopefully, that's a good thing.”
Brown, a starter ever since, admits he was more than a little anxious in his starting debut.
“I was probably going to be the third man in the rotation that day,” he said. “But as time went by and I found out that Perrish was no longer going to be with us, it was a shocker to me. At the end of the day, if it's your time, you've got to step up to the plate. And that's what I did.
“I was nervous the whole time I was in. Then again, you've just got to go out there and play. They tested me that day. I was ready for it.”
Brown played well, too, although the Cowboys lost 21-7 in a defensive struggle that saw the Rebels aided by seven turnovers, including a fumble return for a touchdown.
“I dreamed about the game,” Brown said. “I guess that's why I had some success in the game, because I dreamed about plays that I was going to make, how I was going to play, stuff like that.
“It was fun for me.”
OPPONENT WATCH: QB MARVE PLAYING HURT
Purdue might not be in the Heart of Dallas Bowl, if not for the grit and determination of quarterback Robert Marve.
A sixth-year senior who has suffered three ACL injuries during his career, Marve is playing out the season with a bum knee. His latest ACL tear came in Week 2 of the season.
Yet during the Boilermakers' three-game winning streak to become bowl eligible, Marve threw seven touchdown passes with just one interception in wins over Iowa, Illinois and Indiana. In and out of the lineup during the season and missing three games entirely, Marve's been there for his team down the stretch, drawing the respect of an OSU quarterback who knows something about playing through pain — J.W. Walsh, who returned from a fractured kneecap.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister